Republic of Ireland
- Note: Also see the page about policy implementation in Ireland.
- Oettinger tells Europe: It's double or quits on renewables, 31 January 2011 by Euractiv.com: "Europe will have to double its spending on renewables if it wants to meet its 2020 energy commitments, EU Energy Commissioner Günther Oettinger has said."
- "The data showed that EU member states had largely failed to meet the electricity and transport targets they had set themselves for 2010."
- "But the latest figures show that only seven EU countries – Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Poland and Portugal– expect to meet or exceed their 2010 renewables targets, according to their national action plans."
- "To achieve the EU's energy goals, Oettinger called for a doubling of capital investments in renewable energies from €35 billion to €70 billion. This would require a substantial use of national support plans, he stated. But he did not set any time frame for implementation."
- "'If member states work together and produce renewable energy where it costs less, companies, consumers and the taxpayer will benefit from this,' he added."
- "'Unfortunately, the Commission is still dragging its feet on the issue of sustainable biofuels,' Luxembourg Green MEP Claude Turmes said."
- "He called for an urgent introduction of rules to take into account the impact of biofuels on indirect land use change (ILUC)."
| European Union policy - European Biofuels Directive | EU member states biofuel targets|
EU Countries: Austria • Belgium • Bulgaria • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • Ireland • Italy • Latvia • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Malta • Netherlands • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Slovakia • Slovenia • Spain • Sweden • United Kingdom
Non-EU Countries: Albania • Andorra • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Belarus • Bosnia and Herzegovina • Bulgaria • Croatia • Cyprus • Georgia • Iceland • Kazakhstan • Liechtenstein • Republic of Macedonia • Moldova • Monaco • Montenegro • Norway • Russia • San Marino • Serbia • Switzerland • Turkey • Ukraine • Vatican City
| Africa | Asia | Europe | Latin America and the Caribbean | Middle East | North America | Oceania & Pacific |
See also: International cooperation | International organizations
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?