|The BioenergyWiki is no longer being actively updated -- but we welcome new content.|
You can create a new user account by following the instructions available at the Login page.
- Rare White Deer Versus Ethanol: Conservationists at Odds in Seneca, by Michelle York (NYT); Metropolitan Desk, New York Times, March 13, 2007.
- 17-19 May 2010, New York City: First Preparatory Committee for the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD). This event, also referred to as 'Rio+20' or 'Rio 20' will address many topics related to sustainability. (Themes: green economy, international cooperation, international organizations, sustainability, United Nations)
- 24-26 May 2010, Syracuse: Northeast Sun Grant 2010 Regional Conference. (Themes: environment, feedstocks, research, transportation)
- 14-16 January 2008, New York: Biodiesel Finance and Investment Summit
- 24-26 June 2007, Ithaca: The 2007 New York Renewable Energy Summit
- 6 July 2007, Watkins Glen: Green Grand Prix
- First Biomass Pellet Mill in US to Receive FSC/Rainforest Alliance Certification, 18 June 2009 by the Rainforest Alliance/ENN: "The Rainforest Alliance's SmartWood program has certified the first biomass pellet mill in the United States to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standards, a significant step in the FSC's entry into renewable energy sources."
- "Curran Renewable Energy, LLC, based in Massena, New York, is the first FSC Chain-of-Custody certified producer and distributor of wood pellets for national and international markets."
- "Produced by compressing pulverized dry biomass -- in this case from wood -- biomass pellets are an environmentally-friendly alternative to traditional energy sources like coal, which emits more carbon dioxide (the gas largely responsible for global warming) when burned for fuel."
- Bacteria for Better Biofuels, 30 March 2009 by Scienceline: Scientists "have found a unique way to increase the growth of one promising biofuel source on marginal land: just add bacteria."
- "'If we have bacteria that can help plants to grow better, then these plants will be able to get established [on marginal land], and we can then use these soils for the economic production of biofuels,' says Daniel van der Lelie, a microbiologist at Brookhaven National Laboratory on Long Island, NY and lead author of a study published in the February 1 issue of the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology."
- "In the study, the researchers focused on improving the growth of poplar trees. These trees are known for their rapid growth and ability to survive in many different types of climates, both ideal traits for biofuel production. The Brookhaven group found that adding the right kinds of naturally occurring bacteria to the roots of poplar trees increased their biomass production by up to 80 percent over ten weeks, according to van der Lelie."
- Solar Panels, Biofuel and Tidal Turbines in Bloomberg Plans, 12 June 2007 from the New York Times. The mayor of New York City has announced a plan to increase renewable energy use through tide-driven turbines, as well as outfitting municipal buildings with solar panels and buying heating oil containing biofuels. By summer 2008, "30 percent of the city’s heating oil purchases would be required to contain 5 percent biofuel, which could grow to 10 percent by 2010 and 20 percent by 2012. A City Councilman has also proposed a requirement that private buildings, including homes and offices, use a 5 percent mix by 2009, increasing to a 20 percent mix by 2012.
- FLEX-FUEL Vehicle Owners Can Fill-Up at New Station Selling E-85, 21 May 2007, The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) and KNC Holdings, Inc. announced today the opening of the first E85 ethanol fuel pumps in the State for public use.
Note: This section includes quotations from websites of listed organizations. BioenergyWiki cannot endorse or ensure the accuracy of these or any other such statements found on this website.
- New York State Apollo Alliance "The New York State Apollo Alliance is a new alliance of labor, business, environment, environmental justice and healthy schools groups that has been formed to fight for good jobs, clean energy and New York’s energy independent future."
- Empire State Forest Products Association "The Empire State Forest Products Association (ESFPA), a nonprofit organization for businesses and individuals, is dedicated to improving the business climate for the forest products industry while promoting management of New York's forests to meet the resource needs of today and for future generations."
- Farm Credit of Western New York Farm Credit of Western New York is a lending cooperative for people involved in any aspect of agriculture.
- First Pioneer Farm Credit "We are a full financial services provider for ag businesses. That is, we offer a broad range of competitively priced loans, such as mortgages, seasonal loans and lines of credit."
- Ithaca Biodiesel "Ithaca Biodiesel will be an employee owned, democratically run, cooperative corporation, committed to providing the highest quality vegetable based fuels to our members."
- New York Forest Owners Association "The mission of the New York Forest Owners Association (NYFOA) is to promote sustainable forestry practices and improved stewardship on privately owned woodlands in New York State."
- The Biofuel Clinic, LLC - Company offers services teaching individuals how to make biodiesel from waste vegetable oil.
- Callahan Engineering, LLC - "Callahan Engineering, LLC strives to be a reputable, small-scale, sustainable power and waste engineering firm, achieving a positive triple bottom line for ourselves and our clients."
- Changing World Technologies, Inc - "Changing World Technologies is at the forefront of revolutionizing renewable energy by changing the way in which organic waste materials are utilized, thereby providing a platform for sustainable development."
- Commodity Resource Corporation - "CRC built and now leases a state of the art feed and dry fertilizer facility at our Caledonia, NY industrial park."
- Community BioFuels "Community BioFuels is a consulting, marketing and manufacturing company bringing bio-feedstock derived products to the motor fuel and heating oil markets."
- Cornell Capital Partners - "Cornell Capital Partners provides innovative financing solutions to growing companies in the small-cap sector, worldwide. Cornell Capital has invested in Bioenergy companies."
- Double A Willow - sells fast-growing shrub willow cultivars.
- Genecor, a division of Danisco - "Genencor, headquartered in Rochester, New York, USA, is one of the world’s largest global industrial biotechnology companies. We produce protein (enzyme) products used for industrial applications in diverse consumer and industrial markets, ranging from grain processing to cleaning and textiles to biofuels and biosafety."
- Harbec Plastics, Inc - "HARBEC is Not a Traditional Molder. We are a continually growing and profitable leader in the manufacturing of prototypes, highly-toleranced tooling, machined components and quality injection-molded parts."
- New York Interfaith Power and Light - "Our mission is to promote faithful and just stewardship of God’s creation through energy conservation, energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy both in our institutional life and in our personal lives."
- Northern Biodiesel "Northern Biodiesel is a new and innovative energy company specializing in alternative fuels. Northern Biodiesel is the only local producer of biodiesel for Upstate New York."
- Power Communications New York "Power Communications (PowerCom) is a new kind of firm: a strategic communication company focused on delivering exceptional public relations services to the U.S. energy industry.
- RPM Ecosystems LLC - "RPM Ecosystems LLC grows native trees, shrubs, and grasses produced by the Root Production Method (RPM). Without genetic modification, the patented natural Root Production Method produces trees that grow to maturity three times faster, have a superior survival rate (approaching 95%), produce nuts, seeds, and fruits earlier, and create a root biomass as much as eighteen times greater than trees grown using other methods."
- Natural Resources Conservation Service - New York - "The Natural Resources Conservation Service has provided leadership in a partnership effort to help America's private land owners and managers conserve their soil, water, and other natural resources. NRCS employees provide technical assistance based on sound science and suited to a customer's specific needs. We provide financial assistance for many conservation activities. Participation in our programs is voluntary."
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority - "NYSERDA administers the New York Energy $martSM program, which is designed to support certain public benefit programs during the transition to a more competitive electricity market."
- Syracuse Center of Excellence - Office for Industry Collaboration "The mission of the Syracuse CoE is to create innovations in environmental and energy technologies that improve human health and productivity, security, and sustainability in urban and built environments."
- Alliance for Clean Energy New York "The Alliance for Clean Energy New York's mission is to promote the use of clean, renewable electricity technologies and energy efficiency in New York State, in order to increase energy diversity and security, boost economic development, improve public health, and reduce air pollution."
- American Farmland Trust - "American Farmland Trust (AFT) is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to protecting our nation's strategic agricultural resources."
- Clean Air-Cool Planet - "Clean Air-Cool Planet (CA-CP) is the region's leading organization dedicated to finding and promoting solutions to global warming."
- Chenango County Farm Bureau - "Chenango County Farm Bureau is a not-for-profit agricultural organization, dedicated to providing its farmer and associate members with legislative support, educational programs and services."
- Coalition of Northeastern Governors - "The Coalition of Northeastern Governors (CONEG) is a non-partisan association of the Governors of the eight Northeastern states and encourages intergovernmental cooperation in the Northeast on issues relating to the economic, environmental and social well-being of the Northeast states."
- Green Grand Prix - "The Green Grand Prix is an educational and competitive event in Watkins Glen, NY including the only Official SCCA Time-Speed-Distance Road Rally for Hybrid and Alternate Fuel Vehicles in North America." The 2007 Grand Prix will be held on Friday, July 6th and will be hosted by The International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen, NY.
- New York Farm Bureau "Farm Bureau is a non-governmental, volunteer organization financed and controlled by families for the purpose of solving economic and public policy issues challenging the agriculture industry."
- [www.nyfarmviability.org New York Farm Viability Institute] - "The New York Farm Viability Institute, Inc. (NYFVI) is an independent, non-profit organization, led by agricultural producers, and dedicated to assisting agricultural production enterprises, regardless of enterprise scale or location in New York State."
- New York State Grange - "The New York State Grange was founded in 1873. There are over 253 local Granges in New York State with a total membership of 9,000. The Grange is primarily an organization for small rural communities."
- Renew NY Renewable Energy Network of Entrepreneurs in Western New York (RENEW NY) is dedicated to helping early stage renewable energy companies start and grow in the western portion of New York State.
Universities and colleges
- Clarkson University - "Clarkson University is an independent, nationally recognized technological university whose faculty of teacher-scholars aspires to offer superior instruction and engage in high-quality research and scholarship in engineering, business, science, health, and liberal arts."
- Cornell University
- Cornell University Cooperative Extension - Yates County - "The mission of Cornell Cooperative Extension is to improve the lives of people in Yates County through partnerships that put experience and research knowledge to work."
- Finger Lakes Community College "Finger Lakes Community College’s mission is to provide a 'quality education within a student-centered, college environment devoted to promoting long-term student success.'"
- Morrisville State College
- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry - "SUNY-ESF today offers 22 undergraduate and 28 graduate degree programs, including 8 doctoral (Ph.D.) programs, and is ranked among the nation's finest universities."
|Northeast United States||edit|
|Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont|
|States of the United States||edit|
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming | Washington, D.C./District of Columbia
| Africa | Asia | Europe | Latin America and the Caribbean | Middle East | North America | Oceania & Pacific |
See also: International cooperation | International organizations
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?