- Malawi is a densely populated country located in the Great Lakes Region/ Zambezi River Basin of Africa. This nation has implemented large-scale ethanol and biodiesel programs from sugar molasses and jatropha, respectively.
- 11-13 May 2010, Maputo, Mozambique: Bioenergy Markets Africa. (Themes: Africa, specifically Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Malawi & Madagascar, food vs. fuel, GHG reductions, jatropha, land tenure, life cycle analysis, policy, water)
- Biofuel producers warn EU over "unjustifiably complex" sustainability rules, 7 November 2008 by BusinessGreen: "Eight developing countries have written to the EU warning they will complain to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) if it passes proposed legislation designed to improve the environmental sustainability of biofuels by restricting the types of fuels the bloc imports."
- "The EU is considering legislation that is intended to ban the purchase of biofuels from energy crop plantations that are believed to harm the environment and lead to food shortages by displacing land used for food crops and contributing to rainforest deforestation."
- "[E]ight countries – Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Malawi, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Indonesia and Malaysia – have written to the EU to protest against the proposals" in a letter that "claims that the new rules would 'impose unjustifiably complex requirements on producers' and argues that environmental criteria 'relating to land-use change will impinge disproportionately on developing countries'."
- Malawi's Super Harvest Proves Biofuel Critics Wrong - 4 December 2007, Biopact. Malawi's harvest of biofuel crops was large enough to have replaced its entire consumption of oil and still allow exports to the world market.
- Ethanol-driven vehicle under test in Malawi - 28 December 2006, from SciDev Net, the test will involve a modified Mitsubishi Pajero driven over a 350-kilometre route from Lilongwe to Mzuzu.
- The bumpy road to clean, green fuel - from Gaia Movement Trust: Osman Ibrahim, head of an organization called the Biodiesel Agricultural Association, is urging farmers in Malawi to plant jatropha.
- Malawi Explores Biodiesel as a Cash Crop - more information about the Biodiesel Agricultural Association.
- Malawi has the highest rate of deforestation of any member of the Southern African Development Community. Most of this deforestation is due to a need for charcoal and fuel wood. 
- Malawi is the only country utilising the Zambezi basin’s resources to produce ethanol, which is used to blend petrol. Ethanol is produced from sugar molasses at Dwangwa Estate Plant on the lakeshore. However, other basin countries, for example Zimbabwe, produce ethanol outside the basin. 
- Biodiesel Agricultural Association
|Central Africa: Cameroon | Central African Republic | Congo | Democratic Republic of Congo | Equatorial Guinea | Gabon | Sao Tome and Principe | East Africa: Burundi | Comoros | Djibouti | Eritrea | Ethiopia | Kenya | Malawi | Rwanda, Seychelles | Somalia | Sudan | Tanzania | Uganda | North Africa: Algeria | Chad | Egypt | Libya | Mauritania | Morocco | Tunisia | Southern Africa: Angola | Botswana | Lesotho | Madagascar | Mauritius | Mozambique | Namibia | South Africa | Swaziland | Zambia | Zimbabwe | West Africa: Benin | Burkina Faso | Cape Verde | Cote D'Ivoire | The Gambia | Ghana | Guinea | Guinea-Bissau | Liberia | Mali | Niger | Nigeria | Senegal | Sierra Leone | Togo|
| Africa | Asia | Europe | Latin America and the Caribbean | Middle East | North America | Oceania & Pacific |
See also: International cooperation | International organizations
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?