GAVE, a Dutch acronym for "Climate Neutral Gaseous and Liquid Energy Carriers," is program of the government of the Netherlands implemented by SenterNovem, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- "GAVE actively supports the government and relevant market parties in their efforts within the framework of the EU Biofuel Guideline.
Objective: "Actively promote the use of biofuels, mainly with the aim of reducing transport-related CO2 emissions. The government only supports first-generation biofuels because of the EU Biofuel Directive targets, as it believes that current biofuels are not cost-effective in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. It prefers to support R&D on second-generation biofuels from lignocellulosic waste or crops instead."
Rationale: "To bring Kyoto Protocol climate objectives closer to realization".
Stakeholders: same as supporters
- "Included in this package the government is considering the possibility of imposing minimum sustainability requirements and of setting up an international certification system for biofuels" .
- European biofuel policies in retrospect (pdf) by E. van Thuijl and E.P. Deurwaarder; Energy Research Center of the Netherlands, May 2006.
- Criteria for Sustainable Biomass Production - Final report of the Project group Sustainable production of biomass, Interdepartmental Programme Management Energy Transition, Netherlands, 14 July 2006.
- The impact of sustainability criteria on the costs and potentials of bioenergy production (pdf) by Edward Smeets, André Faaij and Iris Lewandowski; Copernicus Institute, part of the FAIR Biotrade project funded by the Dutch electricity company Essent N.V. and NOVEM (Netherlands Organisation for Energy and the Environment), May 2005.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Biofuel Fact Sheet on Some Current Initiatives around Building a Global Standard for Ethical Biofuel Production, ECLAP
|Organizations/Initiatives: Better Sugarcane Initiative | Forest Stewardship Council | Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels | Responsible Commodities Initiative | EU: GAVE | LowCVP|
|Policies by region: EU policy | US policy (Obama Administration) | G8 policy | UK policy (Gallagher Review)|
Position papers (CSIS Report, Tropical Forest and Climate Unity Agreement)
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?